CISOs - download the cybersecurity report "The CISO’s 2020 Healthcare Cyber Breach Report" now to learn more about the massive 90-plus percent increase in data breaches in 2019 within the healthcare industry.
This report includes comprehensive data on major data breaches, defined as those data breaches reported to the U.S. Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights (HHS/OCR) as due to “IT/Hacking” that have impacted over 500 individuals. These are reported to HHS/OCR as required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
The CISO’s 2020 Healthcare Cyber Breach Report is the most comprehensive reporting of U.S. cyber breach activity to be published with complete data reporting by institution.
The five key takeaways from this report:
- An detailed understanding of the massive 90-plus percent increase in reported major data breaches in U.S. health care in 2019. This includes over 38 million patient records, which is approximately 11.5 percent of the U.S. population.
- The institutions impacted and the number of patient records reported breached in 2016 through 2019 inclusive by year.
- The growth in the use of email as a primary attack vector.
- Overview of email attack through spearphishing with a link (URL).
- Overview of email attack through spearphishing via service first reported by us in early 2019.